NLPRS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NLPRS

Northern Lights Paranormal Research Society is headquartered in Marinette County, Wisconsin, and is dedicated to seeking out the truth in all things. Our mission is simple: to discover the truth, no matter where it may lie.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Devil's Lake, Wisconsin

Go down 
AuthorMessage
soothsayer
Admin
soothsayer

Devil's Lake, Wisconsin Empty
PostSubject: Devil's Lake, Wisconsin   Devil's Lake, Wisconsin I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17 2013, 09:51

After some consideration, we will be conducting next year's "Big Event" at Devil's Lake WI.  The reasons are many:

• Time is limited at Devil's Lake, as you have to reserve a site roughly a year ahead of time.  Trying to get an ideal campsite within an ideal time frame is difficult.  With Mackinac, since they hold paranormal tours, it would stand to reason that we can go there at any time.  As it stands, Devil's Lake did have a good spot available, on a weekend, and so I took the chance as it was presented.  This spot is the only "tents only" site with an electric hook-up.  As we are going to be there for a three night stay (more on that later), we need power so we can maintain our battery charges, computers, and other equipment.

• Finances.  The Super 8 Motel (or are they a hotel?) on Mackinac runs $80 a night, a cabin rental (with power) is $72 for a weekend, or a campsite (with power) at $20 - $25 a night.  With Devil's Lake, we were able to reserve a site, with power, for $20 a night.  Myself, if we were going to Mackinac, I would have preferred to get a hotel room (especially since one of the hotels is on the paranormal tour).

• Variety.  Devil's Lake simply has more of a variety of features going for it: investigations can be held on or at the water to document the ghost canoe sightings, mysterious water waves, or lake monster reports; investigations within the nearby woods / burial mounds to verify shadow people sightings, reported bigfoot encounters, or the sounds of spirits; investigations at the cliffs due to Indian legends or common camper deaths.  At Mackinaw, we have ghostly encounters; well documented encounters that are ongoing, but that is the limit.

• Expansion.  At this moment, the campground I have reserved is marked for 6 people; two are coming so far.  This site allows me to have four more people join us.  There are other campgrounds readily available should even more wish to join, they just won't have access to electricity; this in itself is fine, as our location would easily be the main base or operations.  Needless to say, Devil's Lake has room for us should we need it; Mackinaw, even though it has the available space, is pricier.  To best benefit from going to Mackinaw, we'd need to know who was all going ahead of time and schedule accordingly.

• Other.  Devil's Lake has a playground (great for those who may bring children), and amphitheater, Nature Center, museum, concession stands and so on, all on site.  This doesn't include the surrounding area, all within a short driving distance.  Mackinac is an automobile free area, so everything you need you would need to have with you when you arrive; although Mackinac does have several other points on interest, it would almost facilitate the need to have a lodgings of sorts on island (ie, hotel) in order to truly appreciate things.

We will be arriving at Devil's Lake sometime after 3p on Friday July 25 2014 (check-in time is 3p), with a departure on Monday July 28 2014 (3p check-out time).  If everything remains as it is, I can easily work a half-day that Friday (half day vacation or unpaid remains to be seen) and take a vacation day for that Monday.  Or maybe take a full day for that Friday so we aren't rushed.

As I've mentioned above, we will have power.  The campsite is number 45, located in the Quartzite Loop, just north of the lake and near a few of the conveniences as can be seen on this map.  To give a better representation of the site itself, a satellite image is below the map.  Our campsite is marked with an orange Star of David.

Devil's Lake, Wisconsin Map110

Devil's Lake, Wisconsin Map210

This next map shows the locations of the various effigy mounds around the Devil's Lake area.  Please note that north is on the left hand side of the picture.

Devil's Lake, Wisconsin Effigy10

More information to follow within the next few days / couple weeks.
Back to top Go down
https://nlprs.forumotion.com
soothsayer
Admin
soothsayer

Devil's Lake, Wisconsin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devil's Lake, Wisconsin   Devil's Lake, Wisconsin I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 27 2014, 17:07

Over the course of this past week, I have been downloading and printing the history, legends, related articles, and maps for the Devils Lake area. Everything is now nicely organized with presentation binders for the group.

Sadly comes the realization that the trip isn't for another five months.

Starting tomorrow, I'll be entering the printed information here, in an effort to share it with everyone.
Back to top Go down
https://nlprs.forumotion.com

Devil's Lake, Wisconsin
Page 1 of 1