NLPRS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NLPRS

Northern Lights Paranormal Research Society is headquartered in Marinette County, Wisconsin, and is dedicated to seeking out the truth in all things. Our mission is simple: to discover the truth, no matter where it may lie.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Sony DCR-DVD108

Go down 
AuthorMessage
soothsayer
Admin
soothsayer

Sony DCR-DVD108 Empty
PostSubject: Sony DCR-DVD108   Sony DCR-DVD108 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23 2014, 14:51

originally posted October 15 2013

From everything I've been reading review-wise, this should prove an asset.  The camcorder, which uses mini DVDs, does double as a camera; the camera images go onto a Memory Stick.  The camcorder has the much needed Nightshot capability, an excellent zoom function.  I'm sure there's more, but I really can't do a full review myself as I don't have it in hand yet (but the specs are posted below).

We'll be getting many uses out of this device, in various aspects of nighttime investigations, whether that be in going on the hunt for nocturnal animal activity, or setting up as a base for a paranormal investigation.

I'm re-reading what I've writing, and it doesn't make much sense to me at this time.  Well, it does, but doesn't.  I'm blaming a head cold and lack of sleep.  Anyway, I'll leave well enough alone for now and try again later.  Very Happy 

Sony DCR-DVD108 S08-3310

Specifications
Part Number: DCR DVD108
General
Packaged Quantity 1
Product Type Camcorder
Digital Zoom 2000 x
Effective Photo Resolution 0.3 megapixels
Camcorder Media Type DVD ( DVD-R (8cm) ),
DVD+R DL (8cm) ),
DVD+RW (8cm) ),
DVD-RW (8 cm) )
Optical Sensor Size 1/6"
Optical Sensor Type Advanced HAD CCD
Min Illumination 0 lux
Analog video format NTSC
Digital Video Format MPEG-2
Special Effects Monotone,
Old Movie,
Sepia,
Pastel
Image StabilizerElectronic (Super Steady Shot)
Digital Scene Transition White fader,
Black fader
Min Shutter Speed 1/6 sec
Max Shutter Speed 1/4000 sec
Shooting modes Digital photo mode
Shooting Programs Candle,
Snow,
Beach,
Sports lesson,
Twilight mode,
Sunset,
Spotlight,
Fireworks,
Sunrise,
Portrait mode,
Landscape
White Balance Automatic,
Presets,
Custom
White Balance Presets Outdoor,
Indoor
Exposure Modes Program,
Automatic
Image Recording Format JPEG
AV Interfaces Composite video/audio
Lens System
Type Carl Zeiss 40 x x Zoom lens - 1.9 mm - 76 mm - F/1.8-4.1
Lens aperture F/1.8-4.1
Optical Zoom40 x
Lens system type Zoom lens
Min focal length 1.9 mm
Max focal length 76 mm
Filter Size 30 mm
Focus Adjustment Manual,
Automatic
Zoom Adjustment Motorized drive
Additional Features
Low Lux / Night Mode Yes
Additional Features Touch-screen control,
USB 2.0 compatibility
Software Sony Picture Motion Browser
Included Accessories Power adapter,
Audio / video cable
Viewfinder
Viewfinder Type LCD
Viewfinder Resolution 123,000 pixels
Display
Type 2.5 in LCD display
Connections
Connector Type Composite video/audio output,
USB
Memory / Storage
Media typeDVD
Memory Card Slot Memory Stick Duo card
Image Storage 640 x 480
Video Recording Modes HQ,
LP,
SP
System Requirements for PC Connection
Operating System Support MS Windows XP,
MS Windows 2000
Battery
Supported Battery Sony NP-FH40
Supported Battery 1 x Li-ion rechargeable battery ( Included )
Audio Input
Audio input type Microphone
Microphone type Built-in
Microphone Operation Mode Stereo
Manufacturer Warranty
Service & Support 1 year warranty
Service & Support Details Limited warranty - Parts - 1 year,
Limited warranty - Labor - 90 days
Viewfinder / Display
Display Features Rotating
Viewfinder Color Support Color
Physical Characteristics
Width 2.2 in
Depth 5.2 in
Height 3.5 in
Weight  15.5 oz

{EDIT}
Hands On

I really like this camera!  Some may say that it is a bit over-engineered, but I like it nonetheless.

Movies are recorded onto a mini DVD disc.  It's my understanding that the discs tend to be a bit pricey, but I figure I'll just by a pack of rewriteables.  Since I'll be transferring any video (or anything else, for that matter) onto a flash drive for future use, formatting or finalizing a disc really isn't an issue.

Pictures are sent directly to a memory stick (think of it as a longer, skinnier SD card).  Luckily, I bought a memory stick adaptor when I bought a non-functioning camera (DSC F717, conned on eBay), so I am able to insert two 32GB mini SD cards into one memory stick.  64GB of stills?  That's a lot; my Canon (see above) can only use a 16MB SD card, and I can get 80 good pictures (24 for high quality, even more with low quality).  Let's see, if 16MB equals 80 shots, then with 64GB, that's, umm...  ahh...  that's a lot.

The night vision feature (sorry, the NightShot feature) is excellent.  Used by itself, can make out things about 10 feet away or so.  Coupled with my IR Illuminator (again, see earlier post), all I can say is wow.  It easily lit up the interior length of my house: from interior wall to interior wall, it is 45 feet.  I'll be taking this outside later to play with to get a better sense of its range (charging up the illuminator).

This camera is A LOT better than the IR dashcam I originally purchased, but I already knew as much.  If anything, the dashcam will find extra life when used to record whoever is monitoring the, err, the monitors.  Even better, to be set up within a tent when we go on patrol, so that we can record if there are any intruders.  Don't get me wrong, the dashcam works just fine in the daytime, just not so well at night.

I can easily see myself buying one or two more of these, especially at the price I picked it up at.  I hate it when people say "oh yeah, this baby only cost me $-----," because to me it seems like bragging.  I want to say from the start that I am not bragging here.  In fact, I'll put what I paid for it in "spoiler mode", that way I'm not forcing you to hear me or see, you're doing it on your own free will.  I will say that, when I was checking on the prices for nightshot camcorders, I was expecting to pay between $120 to $170.  USED.  This particular model, bought new, will run about $430.  For those who might not know the spoiler concept, just click on the darkened box under the word "spoiler"; you'll then be able to see what was written.  This is done so that those who might not want to know something don't have to see it.

Spoiler:

I definitely lucked out, I know that.

Okay, I'm going to check on outdoor range for the camera now.  Be right back.

Alright, I'm back.  I don't know if it's just my imagination or what, but it seems that the range is actually less outside.  I'll measure the distance tomorrow just to make sure.  I think this is because the IR illuminator, by design, is deffusing the light.  With taking an image indoors, the walls and other objects are acting as a tunnel, directing the light where to go.  Because in an indoor setting, the IR is focused down a path, whereas outdoors it's able to spread out.

Just my opinion, but it makes sense to me.  So trhen, I would hazard a guess that if I were to use some type of shroud over the illuminator, I could probably get greater range.  I'll have to ask my photography friend that.
Back to top Go down
https://nlprs.forumotion.com

Sony DCR-DVD108
Page 1 of 1