NLPRS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NLPRS

Northern Lights Paranormal Research Society is headquartered in Marinette County, Wisconsin, and is dedicated to seeking out the truth in all things. Our mission is simple: to discover the truth, no matter where it may lie.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

MUFON case 74986

Go down 
AuthorMessage
soothsayer
Admin
soothsayer

MUFON case 74986 Empty
PostSubject: MUFON case 74986   MUFON case 74986 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07 2016, 14:25

This case is not assigned to me; I was asked to help with the photo analysis.

When I work on photo analysis, I try to not read or learn about the photo in question, I just want to examine the photo as is, to see it as it is.  I think it's better that way, as you don't go in with any preconceived notions.  Sometimes, however, it can't be helped.

As described on the MUFON CMS site...

Quote :
July of 2015. A friend and I were discing at the sugar camp disc golf course. We were on hole 11 when my buddy said. Mike what's that. I looked to where he was pointing and there was a silent silver shinyobject cruising along. We observed no wings no noise. I walked towards it trying to get a better view so I could snap pictures with my phone. I got two off before it went behind some clouds and I never saw it again. The craft was cigar shaped. Looked to be a reflective metal. Made no noise. It was clearly viable to the naked eye. I was excited. Not the first time I have witnessed an unknown object in the sky. Hope this was detailed enough for you. The pictures are pretty bad. One is zoomed in the other is not. I hope you have some equipment that may clear it up for you. Thanks for your time.

The two pictures are below...

MUFON case 74986 74986_11
MUFON case 74986 74986_10

The issue that I have with this is that the pictures don't show or have any reference, it's impossible to determine distance, elevation, or relative size. Since I am at work right now, I am unable to work on these, but I was able to draw the following information from them: these were taken on July 18 2015 at 2033 hours; camera used was a Motorola XT830C, with a 1/296 second exposure and an ISO speed of 125. From checking reviews online, the camera is considered between cheap and average, but as the witness stated that the pictures were bad and zoomed in, the image quality cannot be faulted.

My first impression is that this was a golf disc, as the witness was at a disc golf course. However, he states that it moved behind some cloud cover, and as such, a disc could be ruled out.

The object seems metallic, as it does appear to have a reflection. The second guess would be that it is an airplane, as there are many airports around the Sugar Camp area; a lack of a contrail doesn't mean anything. However, I cannot say with any certainty what this is until I go home and run it through some filters.
Back to top Go down
https://nlprs.forumotion.com
soothsayer
Admin
soothsayer

MUFON case 74986 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MUFON case 74986   MUFON case 74986 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07 2016, 22:16

This is the report I wrote regarding the images.

Quote :
In examining the two images from case 74986, I can tell you that they were taken on July 18 2015 at 8:33p, with a resolution of 72 dpi, and the device used was a Motorola XT830C; the cell phone's camera settings were set with a low saturation and low sharpness.  Many online reviews of this cell phone state that the camera is below average, with the witness pretty much repeating the same when he said his pictures were not that good.

Due to the overall size of the original image in comparison to the object in question, along with the image's resolution, any magnification would result in greater distortion.  Just going on the original image itself, and due to a lack of any other known object such as trees or buildings, it is hard to determine the object's size, distance, and elevation.

What can be seen is that the object is reflective; in the image in which the camera was not zoomed, there appears to be a shadow beneath the object, a band of reflective material, and either a clear dome at the top or a lens flare coming off the reflective body.  Because there is a darker underbody, I would assume that the reflective band is wider than the shadow.

In the attached image, I zoomed in as far as I could without distorting things too much.  I then tried to smooth the image to remove most of the pixalation, but I lost too much detail in the image itself; I instead sharpened the image a bit.  In the process of sharpening, I lost some of the reflective band's length and the lightened glowing dome / flare from the top, but gained what appears to be some markings from the craft's mid section.  Based on the camera's capabilities, I doubt that each mark is a separate detail, but rather, because of the distortion, probably an entire section or a colored band.

Because of the camera's drawbacks and the inherent problems of trying to zoom in on such a small object, any assumptions are just that, assumptions and inconclusive.  While working on the picture, I had the impression that this was a drone; with the entire area that this event took place, that is a high possibility.  Then again, looking at the finished image, it looks like a mylar balloon.

It should be noted that, even though there are multiple airports around the Sugar Camp area, this does not look like an airplane; it has no known characteristics.  However, and I cannot stress this enough... there was a wedding reception at the same place that this event took place; it would not be unusual to have a photographer's drone or a stray balloon.  For the sake of completeness, the wedding announcement can be found here:  https://www.theknot.com/us/megan-running-and-jon-kreuter-jul-2015  I understand that this could very well be coincidence, and as such, I am not trying to imply that this is what the object is.

In conclusion, while there is circumstantial evidence as to what this could be, based in part on the object's relative side and the camera used, I would have to say that this is inconclusive or undetermined, though on a personal level I think the wedding reception fits nicely.

MUFON case 74986 7498610
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Admin
soothsayer

MUFON case 74986 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MUFON case 74986   MUFON case 74986 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08 2016, 09:23

Combined both images, just to have a comparison.

MUFON case 74986 74986_13
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Admin
soothsayer

MUFON case 74986 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MUFON case 74986   MUFON case 74986 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13 2016, 11:06

I was asked the other day, well here, let me post the email.  This was sent by the individual who was assigned that case.  I am only including this information on here for the sake of completion, and to help show some of the research that goes into investigating a case.

The investigator's email:
Quote :
I was working on the above case where you had done the photo analysis. You felt the object was related to a wedding that went on the same day. Where you able to determine that the wedding took place at the Sugar Camp Disc Golf?  If not, could you tell me how you determined that the wedding was related to the Sugar Camp Disc Golf.

My response:
Quote :
Good afternoon!  Regarding the photo, I checked the Sugar Camp Disc Golf Course website (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1877), where I got both the physical address of the course as well as lat and long coordinates; with this, I brought the information up on Google Maps, which marked the location.  In checking to see if there were any events going on in the area at that time / date, an internet search using the keywords "sugar camp wisconsin July 18 2015" turned up only one event of significance, which was the wedding; by going on the wedding's website (https://www.theknot.com/us/megan-running-and-jon-kreuter-jul-2015), it can be seen that the reception was held at the Sugar Camp Town Hall, which is on the same property as the disc golf course.  I verified the locations / addresses by checking with the online yellow pages.

I have been trying to find a course map to see where hole 11 is in relation to the Town Hall, but so far I haven't found anything.  My best guess is that, in zooming in the satellite image of the area, and in looking at the amount of reflection on the object as well as the time in which it was taken (8:33p), the object would have to have been east of the course; checking weather archives, the wind was going to the WSW.  In checking with the images, you can see that the disc golf course runs south and west of the shared parking lot and town hall (the light gray rectangles are the tee off zones); anything drifting from the town hall would be going over the disc golf area.  All told, my best assumption is that the picture was taken with the object being above on of the baseball diamonds. (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sugar+Camp+Town+Chairman/@45.787938,-89.3262273,488m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x818c92ce1ae43c45)

I don't want to make it sounds as if it is related to the wedding, because the size of the object and the lack of detail captured on camera makes it really hard to determine anything.

If you are attempting to following the links, please note that the hyperlinks may not work due to being a paste job. But, should you cut and paste the links into your browser, they will work just fine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MUFON case 74986 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MUFON case 74986   MUFON case 74986 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MUFON case 74986
Page 1 of 1