NLPRS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NLPRS

Northern Lights Paranormal Research Society is headquartered in Marinette County, Wisconsin, and is dedicated to seeking out the truth in all things. Our mission is simple: to discover the truth, no matter where it may lie.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Binoculars, various

Go down 
AuthorMessage
soothsayer
Admin
soothsayer

Binoculars, various Empty
PostSubject: Binoculars, various   Binoculars, various I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23 2014, 18:31

Not all of our visual equipment can record images. Sometimes all you need are a good set of eyes to point you in the right direction... even then, sometimes you need something better than good eyes.

Binoculars, telescopes, microscopes, all of that falls into here, to see the unseen, to catch a glimpse of movement or to see what is going on just past that shadow. Cameras are a great tool, but they don't see everything.
Back to top Go down
https://nlprs.forumotion.com
soothsayer
Admin
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: Binoculars, various   Binoculars, various I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23 2014, 18:42

Barska 20-60x60 Spotting Scope

Binoculars, various Opplan10

Bought this yesterday from Menards.  Menards "discount" price was roughly $49; don't know if that is good or not, haven't compared it to online purchases.  If anything, I buy this accepting the fact that I can easily return it if necessary.

But I won't be.

Just tried it out, and it is great!  Can't really gage the range yet; will test it out later this afternoon.  Heck, really haven't played with it other than the initial maximum zoom and going "wow".

{EDIT}

Haven't field tested this yet, but I did find some specs on the internet.  This information was taken from Optics Planet.

Quote :

Specifications for Barska 20-60 x 60 Blackhawk Spotting Scopes:

Magnification: 20-60x
Objective Lens Diameter: 60mm
Prism System: Porro
Optical Coating: Multi Coated
Weatherproof: Water Proof / Fogproof
Field of View: 20x - 91 ft @ 1000 yds; 60x - 45 ft @ 1000 yds
Close Focus Distance: 23 ft
Exit Pupil: 20x - 3 mm; 60x - 1 mm
Eye Relief: 20x - 18mm; 60x - 15mm
Extensible Sun Shade: Yes
Length: 12 inch
Weight (w/o tripod): 8 lb
Tripod: Panhead Lever

Features of Barska 20-60x60mm Black-Hawk Zoom Spotting Scope:

Multi-coated optics
   Massive objective lens
   Complete waterproof and fogproof protection
   Glare-reducing sunshade
   Rubber armor
   Ergonomic design
   Convenient and good portability
   Ideal for all-weather conditions

3000 foot visual range?  Not bad, not bad indeed.  In my opinion, anything greater than that would be overkill, at least for our purpose.  We need to see something and be able to react quickly; a half mile seems good.  This isn't even to say that we can get a greater visual range, that's what the field test will show.  I want to see how far we can be, and still be able to make out details.  I'm thinking that we'll have to measure off from a known marker, and visually inspect it at distance; since we have a number to shoot for (3000 feet), I think that'd be a good place to start.  Now... now we just need a good flat stretch of road.

{FINAL EDIT}
Field test demonstrated that this scope can read a standard traffic sign (speed limit / school zone) from a mile out. Anything seen from farther then that was visible, but hard to make out; good for movement, but that'd be about it.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Admin
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: Binoculars, various   Binoculars, various I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 24 2014, 11:11

Tasco 7x35 Zip Focus 2000

Binoculars, various Mfw8zx11

Say what you want about older binoculars, this is a good solid device.  I picked this up years ago from a second-hand store for $2.50, and I still use them; I don't have any complaint about them other than the fact that the rubber surrounding the eye pieces have all but fallen away.  It may not have a case or any lens covers, it may be heavy, but it is worth every penny.  This can probably be bounced around, and you wouldn't have to worry about any damage.
Back to top Go down
soothsayer
Admin
soothsayer

PostSubject: Re: Binoculars, various   Binoculars, various I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 24 2014, 11:18

Binoculars, generic, 10x50

Binoculars, various 60b3bf11

Picked these up from Goodwill a couple months back.  They're cheaply made, plain and simple. While everything works as it should, they just feel... weak, like they can be easily broken. The construction isn't solid; the whole thing flexes a little bit.

But they work, and that's the important thing. While I wouldn't wear these around my neck while climbing something for fear of crushing them, I would use them in a safer environment. One nice feature about these though is that the main lens are tinted to prevent unwanted reflection.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Binoculars, various   Binoculars, various I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Binoculars, various
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NLPRS :: ABOUT :: Equipment :: Visual-
Jump to: